“I’m a Los Angeles native and professionally I’ve always stuck around,” says Betty, who is a former columnist for the Los Angeles Times. She has written several books on her hometown including L.A. Inside Out: The Architecture and Interiors of America’s Most Colorful City, Hollywood du Jour: Lost Recipes of Legendary Hollywood Haunts and Chasen’s: Where Hollywood Dined, Recipes and Memories.
Most Memorable Trip(s): After my son was born, my travel became limited to mostly family trips. I’m not a “Hawaii person” and I’m not at all outdoorsy (unless it means sitting on a beautiful restaurant patio), so my family’s idea of adventure is going to New York, which we do twice a year to meet up with another family. There are places the children like to go, places my husband likes to go, and I have mine, but the one activity we all adore is going to Broadway musicals. We always go to matinees, and we usually have lunch first at Trattoria dell’Arte, within walking distance of the theaters. The adults go for the extensive antipasti bar and the children order pasta or pizza. On the weekends, there’s always a basket of wonderful pastries on the table and sometimes the host brings around fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies, still hot on the baking pan. There’s always a dish of chocolate candies on the way out. After the show, even in the freezing cold, the children insist we wait at the stage door for the stars to autograph their Playbills. Then we walk back to our hotel, no matter how far away it is and no matter what the weather is like.
Search By Keyword
The gateway to southeastern Asia, Singapore has a lot to...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.