Destination: Germany: Berlin
International labels are clustered around the luxury hotels such as the Regent and the Hotel de Rome. However, the best shopping in Berlin is for cutting-edge designers whose boutiques are located in the Mitte area. Stick to streets like Mulackstrasse and Alte Schonhauser Strasse to find stylish fashions by young designers. Browsing the shops in the series of apartment courtyards Hackesche Hofe is a uniquely Berlin experience that should not be missed. Look out for unusual spots like Hoffnung, a handmade belt shop, and Golem Kollektion, a tile shop that sells Art Nouveau ceramic tiles and Coy, a fabulous hat shop. Great places for a coffee or quick meal in the area include the Jewish deli in the arts complex Jewish Girls School or Anatre in Hackescher Hof. For something more memorable or a proper meal in the area, try Pauly Saal or the rooftop of the Soho House.
In East Berlin, expect stores to open at noon and close around 8 p.m. In West Berlin, the international fashion houses from Burberry and Chanel to Gucci and Sonya Rykiel are represented. Head to the end of the Ku’damm, between Bleibtreustrass and Olivaer Platz.
Search By Keyword
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.