Destination: Germany: Berlin
Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island)
This island nature reserve and UNESCO World Heritage site is one of those incredible Berlin discoveries you would never expect near an urban area. Just a forty-minute drive from the center of the city, in the Wannsee district, the island started out as a passion project of Prussian king Frederic William II. On its nearly 200 acres, he built a fanciful castle and introduced a flock of peacocks, while his successor Frederick William III had parts of it landscaped and turned into formal gardens.
Today it’s an incredibly varied natural enclave, parts of it hardly manicured with wild expanses, forests as well as beautiful gardens and fountains. It’s a fabulous place for a day trip, to roam and picnic while marveling at the roaming peacocks. Potsdam, with its Sans Souci Palace is just a 15-minute drive from the island.
Search By Keyword
While it may lack some of the charm of jetset...
One of the oldest cities in the Netherlands, Maastricht has...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.