Destination: China: Shanghai
French Concession and Xintiandi
Xintiandi, which means new heaven and earth, is a nine-acre neighborhood of restored brick houses that serves as a Chinese version of South Street Seaport or Faneuil Hall. Its fabricated sense of history disguises what’s essentially an outdoor mall. It’s well done, though, with chic restaurants and shops housed in traditional sikhumen houses. My favorite boutiques follow. Annabel Lee (225 Shanxi South Rd.; 86-21-6445-8218; www.annabel-lee.com) for very pretty purses and silk and linen blouses. Layefe Home (No. 12) for stylish housewares on the ground floor and fashion on the second. Shanghai Trio (181 Taikang Rd.; 86-21-6355-2974) is the atelier of a French expat who pairs European standards with Asian textiles to create unusual bags and scarves. Geow Yong Tea Hong (Unit 1, #25; 86-21-6320-1692; www.geowyongtea.com) for beautifully packaged high-quality teas and teapots. Simply Life (159 Madang Rd.; 86-21-6387-5100; www.simplylife-sh.com) resembles a Chinese Conran Shop on the ground floor, but upstairs you’ll find Asianera hand-painted porcelain plates. Just outside Xintiandi but nearby is a branch of Blue Shanghai White (369 Zizhong Rd.; 86-21-6385-5406; www.blueshanghaiwhite.com), which sells...
Search By Keyword
This island nation makes a perfect, beachy conclusion to a...
Home to dozens of unsolved mysteries, the island known as...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.