Destination: Austria: Vienna
Created by iconic British designer Sir Terence Conran, Das Triest was considered Vienna’s first design hotel when it opened in 1996, offering a modern alternative to 19th-century pomp. Housed in the former stable for the horse-drawn postal service from Vienna to Trieste (used some 300 years ago), the hotel centers around a pretty courtyard that’s open during the warmer months for drinks and dinner. The seventy-two rooms are minimalist, with a beige-on-beige palette, a generous use of pine and white tiled bathrooms with Molton Brown products. The location isn’t great—on a busy street south of the Karlsplatz, a hike from most of the major sights—but the sleek design has held up well, and the rooms are spacious. The popular Silver Bar is a nice place for an aperitif before going out for dinner. Rooms from $415.
WHO SHOULD STAY: Couples and friends traveling together who appreciate a contemporary aesthetic and who won’t miss five-star amenities like turndown service.
WHAT TO KNOW: The city center is about a fifteen-minute walk from the Triest. During the warm months, the courtyard is open until 11 P.M. and can get busy with guests and locals, so if you’re an early or a light sleeper, be sure to request a room on one of the top floors.
Search By Keyword
An insider's guide to Rio. Plus, learn about a family...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.