Destination: Austria: Vienna
Vienna is famous for its festive pre-holiday season, when the entire city seems illuminated by Christmas lights (those along the Graben are shaped like oversized chandeliers). The market in front of the Rathaus (City Hall) is the largest and most touristy; more intimate is the artisanal one at the Freyung, where you can find handcrafts as well as organic honey, gingerbread and wine. My favorite is the one at Schönbrunn for its magical setting.
The sprawling outdoor market that begins across the street from the Secession hails from the 16th century and draws locals and tourists alike, especially on weekends (come early to avoid the crowds). The goods at this bazaar-like market run the gamut from fresh produce brought in by farmers to gourmet treats like homemade jams and honeys, rare spices and Turkish breads and pastries.
A Viennese institution not to miss: Gegenbauer (www.gegenbauer.at), a small shop near the beginning of the market (Stand No. 111–114). Founded in 1929, Gegenbauer sells homemade infused vinegars—the more than fifty kinds include sour cherry, melon, blackberry, apple and a variety of balsamic and wine-based vinegars. They are bottled from small kegs and make lovely gifts.
Urbanek, a tiny cheese and charcuterie shop (Stand No. 46), is an insider tip: the sliver of a store offers patrons a taste of most everything on sale here, and on weekends it’s packed with customers who balance truffled salami or aged cheeses in one hand and a Stehachterl (four-ounce) glass of wine in the other. It’s a good place to meet locals: you’re in such close quarters that conversations happen naturally.
Search By Keyword
The famous French ski resort, in the Haute-Savoie region, is...
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.