Destination: Costa Rica
The spirit of Costa Rica is best captured in its mantra “Pura Vida.” In translation it means “pure life” but in use it’s normally an expression of satisfaction or thanks and is often heard as a greeting and farewell. It is said with a smile and upon hearing it you know you are in a place where the simple pleasures in life are not taken for granted and the pace of living is relaxed. It is difficult to visit Costa Rica without leaving with a strong appreciation for the country and its culture made more rich by the effortless conversations and organic friendships that arise along the way. As a female traveling with a group of girls on back roads to remote surf spots, I felt as safe as I did under the care of the excellent staff of the Four Seasons. Costa Rica is a country with many different sides that can suit both families and those traveling on their own. Whether you are looking for surfing, adventure, relaxation, giving back or family time, Costa Rica has it all.
Get information about surfing programs in Costa Rica.
Find information on where to stay in one of the country’s best places for surfing, Tamarindo.
Read a postcard about staying at an Exclusive Resort property at Poro Pora on Peninsula Papagayo.
Read a member’s review of staying at the Four Seasons Costa Rica with her family.
We would love to hear from more members about their experiences too. So please use the comment button below to add suggestions or send us a postcard by mail or email.
Search By Keyword
To quote the renowned historian Alan Morehead, "Anyone who can...
The French islands of Porquerolles and Port-Cros offer breathtaking cliffs,...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.