It would be remiss to talk about Melbourne’s dining scene without mentioning coffee, which is tantamount to a religion here. Don’t even whisper the word “Starbucks”: authentic Italian espresso (complete with rich crema and nothing to do with syrup added, ever) is the only game in town. Here, four of my favorite cafés, where the quality of the beans is equaled only by that of the people-watching.
Caffé e Cucina
Nothing beats disappearing for a few hours into the warm embrace of this dimly lit cavern, where everything from the specials scrawled in chalk on the blackboard to the rakishly handsome waitstaff and the impeccable coffee is just so.
Degraves Espresso Bar
Down an atmospheric lane, the quirky little café draws a boho crowd (ennui-filled boys in skinny jeans and girls bundled in stylish coats) who drape themselves over the vinyl theater seats that stand in for chairs. The breakfasts are hearty and perfectly cooked, the coffee a dream.
Il Fornaio has been dubbed Melbourne’s sexiest bakery. Part of The Prince empire, this is the place for a morning-after caffeine fix that’s one of the best in town.
An iconic café that never seems to change (the same regulars are propped up at the bar every time I visit), this slickly run operation doesn’t mess with the formula that made it popular in the first place: honest Italian dishes, great coffee and ever so slightly cheeky waiters.
It may be trite to evoke Italy when describing a coffee shop, but there’s no other way to describe this classic, where elderly gents named Mario sit side by side with stylish young women in head-to-toe black. It’s quirky, ancient and always the same…and the coffee is nothing short of bellissimo.
Search By Keyword
The largest single-mountain ski resort in North America is better...
Amazing wildlife and sensational safari camps are keys to why...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.