Christine Barro’s little jewel box is on every self-respecting stylist’s speed dial. That’s because she has a great eye for the avant-garde and champions lesser-known designers (she was the first retailer in the country to stock cult bag-maker Anya Hindmarch) and burgeoning Australian talents. Christine is all about accessories, so come here to find that special piece of jewelry or quirky handbag from such designers as Jamin Puech.
A local label making great strides is Claude Maus, whose new store is housed in a large industrial space to better show off the sexy, slightly androgynous men’s and women’s wear: butter-soft T-shirts perfect for layering, tartan skirts, mod-ish leather jackets, all perfectly suited to fashion-forward Melburnians.
Stop in at this lovely restored landmark building (the former General Post Office) to check out homegrown Australian fashion talent, such as master tailor Akira Isogawa; Lisa Ho, whose party dresses bedeck many a socialite; Leona Edmiston (the antipodean answer to Diane von Furstenberg); and Zimmermann, two sisters whose sexy swimsuits are helping them carve out a global reputation.
The focus at this hip new shopping district on the scene is the street-level Albert Coates Lane, home to several must-see designers. The funky Cactus Jam has a great edit of cool international names, like Chloé and Matthew Williamson, but also stocks local success stories, such as Sass & Bide, while those looking for grown-up glamour with a disco edge head to Wayne Cooper, Australian fashion’s English-born bad boy.
Search By Keyword
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
This incredibly diverse, enormous country at the tip of the...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.