Destination: Mexico: Costa Careyes
Costa Careyes (or Careyes as initiates tend to abbreviate it), is not technically a private club, but it certainly feels like a sexier version of Lyford Cay, the members-only enclave in the Bahamas. Surrounded by 30,000 acres of nature preserve, the 4,000-acre resort on Mexico’s Pacific Coast has some of the most glorious warm-weather houses in the world. One comes with a rope ladder bridge to its own wave-crashed peninsula. Two others come with moatlike pools so guests can swim from the porch off of their bedrooms to the dining patio for breakfast if the spirit moves them.
Inspired by the jet-set scene of the Costa Smeralda, the scion of an Italian banking family, Gian Franco Brignone founded the resort and real estate development in the early 1970s. He staked out a wedge of land between Puerto Vallarta and Manzinillo and began with a beach house on a palm-shaded cove. According to legend, he lured Gianni Agnelli as a houseguest in the early days. Sir James Goldsmith rented houses in the 1980s, before purchasing a 25,000-acre parcel down...
Search By Keyword
Beautiful and not overrun with tourists, this island off the...
The Spanish capital is buzzing with revamped hotels, authentic restaurants...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.