Destination: Vancouver Island
I’ll never forget my first impression of Vancouver Island. As my husband and I flew from our home in Seattle toward the rugged westernmost coast of Canada, it was storming. But once we arrived in the town of Tofino, the air was balmy, the tide low. We felt as if we’d been transported to Maui, down to the beaches surrounded by miles of old-growth rain forest. Our destination was the Wickaninnish Inn, a small hotel with a romantic dining room cantilevered over the rocky coastline. We loved the juxtaposition of fine food, notable wines and rustic luxury. Since then, we’ve returned to Vancouver Island many times, staying at intimate hotels in wonderfully remote settings—all on the island’s windswept west coast.
On our most recent trip, I discovered that many of our fellow guests were from the East Coast, the U.K., and even farther afield. The word on Vancouver Island has clearly gotten out. Uma Thurman, Susan Sarandon, Donald Sutherland and Danny DeVito have all hidden out at the Wick. Sarah McLachlan bought a house on Chesterman Beach, just south of the inn, four years ago. And Isabella Rossellini stays along the coast just southwest of Victoria (near Sooke Harbour House).
Read Indagare’s Vancouver Destination Report
Search By Keyword
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.