Destination: Japan: Tokyo
After an extended slump, Japan in general and Tokyo in particular are on a major roll, displaying an air of breezy confidence and a resurgence of consumerism. The capital has recently had a wave of superluxury-hotel openings, a trend started by the Park Hyatt (of Lost in Translation fame), in which it saw the Grand Hyatt, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz-Carlton and Peninsula launch in quick succession, filling a yawning gap in the market.
The glut of rooms at the superluxury end makes the present a good time to snag a deal or at least an upgrade. And Tokyo looks mighty fine from a 50th-floor room, where on a clear day you can see distant Mount Fuji and, even on a misty morning, a cityscape that allows you to figure out the geography of the metropolis’s hodgepodge design.
Search By Keyword
The famous French ski resort, in the Haute-Savoie region, is...
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.