Destination: New York
Metropolitan Museum of Art (Met)
The permanent collection of this famed museum contains more than two million works of art. Don’t miss the stunning wing that now houses the extensive collection of Greek and Roman antiquities (extensively renovated in 2008) and the American Wing, unveiled by Michelle Obama in May 2009. With the recent renovation of the museum’s 19th century galleries, many well-known images images have been reinstalled, such as those by Degas, Monet and Renoir and a few significant additions including Scandinavian, German and American artists. As a result, the galleries now allow for a more interesting way to tour one of the most comprehensive collections of French Impressionist art outside of the Louvre as well as 19th century art movements and styles, including Neo-Classicism, Romanticism, the Pre-Raphaelites, the Barbizon school, and Realism.
Indagare tips: If you’re introducing children to the massive museum, consider going with Natasha Schlesinger of Art Muse, who specializes in making art come alive for kids. If you’re looking for a nice lunch break nearby, consider Sant Ambroeus, the restaurant at the Carlyle or taking a picnic...
Search By Keyword
José Ignacio has been compared to Montauk of thirty years...
For students of history and students of life, it’s moving...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.