Destination: New York
Like so many of the robber barons, Henry Clay Frick was an unabashed shopaholic when it came to Old World treasures. During his life, he amassed an astonishing assemblage of Old Master paintings, 18th-century furnishings, Limoges enamels and French and Italian porcelains; the list goes on. His compulsion is our gain. At the Frick Collection you can study works by art giants like Rembrandt, Ingres, Turner and Whistler as they were meant to be seen—that is, in domestic settings. Of course, few homes are this opulent, but you’ll be surprised by the cozy atmosphere, the ample natural lighting and the friendly scale of this limestone mansion. Take a few moments to enjoy the garden court—it’s one of the city’s most serene public spaces. Open Tuesday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Monday and major holidays.
Search By Keyword
Known as an eco and adventure destination, this Central American...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.