Destination: New York
90th Street Pharmacy
A tad jet-lagged? Try this ancient apothecary that delivers modern-day medicinal cures to Manhattan’s elite.
Aedes de Venustas
Don’t be put off by the Victorian bordello decor of this West Village boutique; inside you’ll find the world’s most rare and luscious fragrances.
Eddie Roschi and Fabrice Penot were two “noses” jaded by corporate life who decided to put the mystique back into perfume. Their refreshingly antibrand Le Labo fragrance lab does just that.
Former Shiseido creative director Yael Alkalay launched her organic beauty line in 1999 and quickly garnered rave reviews for the exquisite products, which today include teas, soaps, scented candles and body treatments. Her small boutique in Nolita is a serene space that encourages shoppers to linger. Alkalay, who spent many years in Tokyo, says her inspiration for Red Flower is a “kind of beauty that is not easily bottled, one that focuses both on the internal and the external.” Word may be getting out—the spa at Sea Island is using Red Flower products now—but the only freestanding boutique is this one, and the beautifully packaged items make lovely gifts for others or yourself. My favorites include blood orange lotion, the Thai honeysuckle scented candles (which come in mini sizes) and Jasmine flower tea.
Before setting up shop on the other side of the Atlantic, British beauty (products) queen Nicky Kinniard brokered exclusive U.S. distribution deals with many of her European skincare lines. Thus, in the states you’ll only find brands like Eve Lom, Zelens, Pro-Ferm or Huiles & Baumes at Space.NK stores. At her U.S. flagship boutique in SoHo, the layout is simple-chic, with products neatly assembled on white tables and well-lit glass shelves, and knowledgeable aestheticians provide customized skin and makeup solutions. Though some items are from Kinniard’s own line NK, most are collected from companies based around the world and many are organic, like the popular Australian brand Jurlique, or patented by medical experts. Eve Lom Facials, praised by beauty editors around the world, are available at the store’s spa. Beauty consultations can also be arranged—call first to set up an appointment.
In desperate need of some eyeliner? Don’t blush. Zip into Zitomer, Manhattan’s mini-department store (and pharmacy). An endless potpourri of cosmetics, candles, creams and toys.
Search By Keyword
The mountainous island in the West Indies is transforming into...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.