Destination: France: Corsica
Opened in 2004, this thirty-four-room retreat is the first hotel to give a sophisticated contemporary polish to the island’s rustic image. Renowned French architect Jean-François Bodin has created a design that is strictly for fans of pure clean lines: a low-slung rectangle of dazzling glass, stone and pale red cedar that merges with the scenery. Guests can take in expansive views of the sea through huge bay windows while relaxing in the white split-level lobby or at the bar decked out with scarlet armchairs by Rietveld, violet cushion stools by Frigerio and hanging Baccarat lights. The rooms are spacious and spare, with Le Corbusier loungers and minimalist but comfy sofas, the whole jazzed up with shimmering fuchsia or pistachio Charles Joffre bedspreads and curtains. Don’t be surprised when a feather-light vanilla panacotta arrives in your room minutes after check-in—under the impeccable direction of Gianluca Bertilaccio, no detail is overlooked. Last summer, the hotel added a wing with 11 large suites, each outfitted with a commodious wooden terrace and offering a sweeping sea vista. If ever you tire of lazing by the infinity-edged heated pool or on the sand at the tiny private cove, explore the spectacular pink rocks and turquoise creeks of the Palombaggia beaches, a short drive away. The hotel also has a spa that features massages au chocolat or with fragrant Corsican rosemary and tangerine-seed essential oils. And it has both a gastronomic restaurant and a more informal beach grill, both of which welcome outside guests, a policy that has made Casadelmar a favorite dining spot for visiting VIPs and the yachting set. Read about the restaurant. Rooms from €340.
Read a member postcard on staying at the Casadelmar with her family
Search By Keyword
While it may lack some of the charm of jetset...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.