Golden Pear Café
A Hamptons institution (with locations in Southampton, East Hampton, Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor), the Golden Pear sells delicious gourmet sandwiches, soups, salads and coffees and is always bustling with activity. Hamptons homeowner Alec Baldwin expressed the sentiment of many regulars when he said the following (for the Golden Pear Café cookbook): “Nothing says you are home in the Hamptons more than standing in line at the Golden Pear.”
Jack's Stir Brew Coffee
This beloved coffee shop with five New York locations is great for a morning cup of joe or an afternoon pick-me-up. With a beach-chic vibe, thanks to recycled buoys and driftwood, Jack’s also serves delicious chocolate chip cookies and organic juices.
From the same owners as Nick and Toni’s, La Fondita is a casual taco stand off of Montauk Highway in Amagansett. It’s perfect for a quick snack or a casual dinner, and customers order in the main building and then take tacos to the outdoor seating area or picnic tables. Highlights include the fish tacos and house salad.
Loaves & Fishes Gourmet Take Out
Across the country, a number of soup kitchens call themselves “Loaves & Fishes”, after the biblical story (in which Jesus miraculously fed a multitude of people with just 5 loaves of bread and two fish). In the Hamptons, Loaves & Fishes refers to (in addition to a high-end cookware store as well as a cooking school at the Bridgehampton Inn) a specialty foodshop that sells $100/pound lobster salad and, as of this year, accepts Euros. Despite the hefty price tags though, the store’s homemade salads, pot pies, salsas and pies rarely disappoint. Closed New Year’s Eve through Easter.
Toni Ross, who opened Nick & Toni’s with her late husband Jeff Salaway (a.k.a Nick), also owns this casual little bistro where tables are easier to come by and the most popular item is fish and chips. There’s an extensive selection of microbrews so the bar scene is usually lively but don’t expect to see and be seen.
The Juicy Naam
While the Hamptons is home to a number of yoga studios and health food stores, none are quite like the Juicy Naam, which is meant to be a “one-stop” health and healing emporium. In addition to selling smoothies (which can come tailored to your sign) juices (like wheatgrass) and vegetarian raw soups, the store offers yoga and meditation classes, guided cleanses, lifestyle coaching sessions and a number of Eastern-based spa treatments.
Search By Keyword
The French islands of Porquerolles and Port-Cros offer breathtaking cliffs,...
Known as the Blue City for its cobalt-painted facades, Jodhpur...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.