Destination: British Virgin Islands
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
While some of the BVI’s luxurious resorts focus on the honeymoon set, Little Dix Bay welcomes families with open arms. Many of their recently renovated rooms and suites have connecting options, and the calm, aquamarine bay on which the hotel sits provides a perfect playground for those still developing their sea legs. But don’t let the child-friendly vibe fool you; this Virgin Gorda retreat holds itself to standards of luxury that appeal to the most discerning of adults. Founded in 1964 by Laurance S. Rockefeller, the resort boasts 100 well-appointed rooms, attentive service and a spectacular spa. In 2007, the property added two- and three-bedroom villas with private pools, spacious indoor and outdoor living areas and beautiful views of the bay—a wonderful option for families or travelers seeking extra privacy.
Although the most appealing activities are snoozing on the white sand beach or snorkeling, Little Dix has other options to keep active guests busy. The fitness complex includes seven tennis courts and a large, well-equipped gym. For younger visitors, a cheerful children’s club offers a pirate dress-up parlor and outside play area. The staff also organizes kid-friendly nature walks and treasure hunts. Keeping with the history of the property, though, rooms do not have televisions (the villas are an exception). Nightly movies shown in the main building should satisfy any craving for a little mindless distraction.
Best Rooms: Connecting beachfront cottages give families plenty of space and are just steps from the beach. A villa is also a great option. The hillside homes offer stunning views, but request one of the few houses on the beach if you’d prefer to be closer to the action. For couples, book one of the new junior suites; their combination of indoor and outdoor living spaces can’t be beat. Rates from $395.
Search By Keyword
Intimate, hip beach hotels line the shore of this former...
To quote the renowned historian Alan Morehead, "Anyone who can...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.