Destination: England: London
Avery Fine Perfumery
Located on Avery Row, a quiet back street in Mayfair, this innovative perfume shop is a play on the word aviary, an airy home for exotic birds. And like birds, scents travel weightlessly through the air. As people pass close to the shop’s windows, interactive technology causes a perfume bottle to emit a virtual spritz of scent or virtual mist outside the shop. With bird cages in the window, taxidermy birds on the shelves, scents displayed on a lovely Rococo dressing table with birds feet, and birdsong in the background, I did feel a bit like I was in an ornithology alcove at the Natural History Museum. But the collection, with lots of niche brands from Italy and France, is focused and beautifully assembled. Hype Noses (from France), Carthusia (from Capri), Nasomatto (Italy) and Profumi del Forte from Tuscany are all available and worth a sniff (or two or three).
Twenty years ago, Jo Malone started her career giving facials to private clients in London and as her following grew, she began developing products for them. Based on natural scents, her line of skin care, candles and fragrances include such signature blends as Lime Basil & Mandarin and Nectarine Blossom and Honey. The whole range of deliciously scented goodies is available here.
Those in search of gifts should keep an eye out for the Organic Pharmacy, the only one of its kind, offering a selection of wonderfully pure, natural products. Think of a more evolved version of the Body Shop.
Search By Keyword
Mumbai is the biggest, wealthiest, and fastest city in India....
The famous French ski resort, in the Haute-Savoie region, is...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.