Destination: England: London
5 x 15
The latest craze among the intellectual set are talks designed for our attention-weary times. Five speakers are given fifteen minutes to riff on a meaty topic. As the New York Times remarked, “5×15’s packed soirees feel like an evening of offline, communal surfing, it’s due as much to the eclectic menu of speakers as to the short time allotted.” In October, Geordie Grieg, the former editor of Vanity Fair UK, is speaking on breakfasting with Lucian Freud. Past speakers include author and Gagosian potter Edmund de Waal, Serpentine Director Julia Peyton-Jones, designer Nicky Haslam and author Salman Rushdie.
For those seeking some intellectual buzz, Intelligence Squared is where the London cognoscenti flock for a bit of brain food. The evening debates last ninety minutes and not only are the topics relevant and wide-ranging but the sparring speakers are prominent and know their stuff. Attendees of these debates vote on the topic du jour upon entrance and then votes are retaken at the end to see just how persuasive the debaters were. The topic of the recent debate I attended was “Churchill was more of a liability than an asset to the free world.” Of the six debaters, three were particularly witty and sharp; ex-presidential hopeful Pat Buchanan (for the motion) was quite provocative in his anti-Churchill stance, while historians Antony Beever and Andrew Roberts had the crowds laughing and applauding they were so good. Held at the Royal Geographical Society in Kensington tickets costs $40.
Search By Keyword
With new luxury villas and gorgeous classic resorts, the Turks...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.