Destination: England: London
A great way to beat London’s notoriously congested traffic is to rent a Barclays Bikes, the citywide bike-rental program instigated by mayor Boris Johnson (which is why they are better known as Boris Bikes). All you need is to swipe a credit card (Visa and Mastercard only) at one of the stations dotted throughout the city, select an access period (24 hours or 7 days), and then the first 30 minutes are free of usage charge. After the first few hours, rental rates climb quickly; for example, it’s £6 to rent a bike for two hours, but then it jumps to £35 for 3-6 hours. (A lot of people switch bikes after 30 minutes so as not to incur extra charges.)
The seats are adjustable, handbags can be secured in front by elastic straps and it’s a lot of fun seeing London up close at a good spin. The Barclays Web site includes helpful cycle routes. Just remember to stay on the left side of the road.
Ten Pilates, an innovative gym with locations in Mayfair, Notting Hill and Chiswick, offers rigorous work-out in both reformer and mat Pilates. Reformer classes hold a maximum of six people, and everyone gets a customized machine with resistance pulleys, which can intensify the workout. Classes cost £25 a session although first timers pay half-price, and block bookings cuts price accordingly.
Search By Keyword
The largest single-mountain ski resort in North America is better...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.