Resting in a lush garden complete with reflecting pools, the Amansara lies on the outskirts of bustling Siem Reap, the gateway to the ancient Khmer civilization of Angkor. Renowned Asian hotel company Aman Resorts totally transformed this former guesthouse, which was commissioned by King Shihanouk as a sanctuary for dignitaries visiting the nearby ruins in 1962. There are twenty-four tranquil suites in the classical Indochinese palette of soothing grey, white and dark timber. Twelve of the suites offer floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking a small water garden, while the other twelve are fronted by a slate swimming pool with a shaded pergola for al fresco dining. Traditional Khmer cuisine is served in the cavernous dining room with its 23-foot-high ceiling. To relax after a long day of sightseeing, guest can sip a drink on the rooftop garden or book a treatment using therapeutic Cambodian techniques in the spa. Scholars are regularly invited by the hotel to offer an in-depth perspective of the history, archaeology, architecture, and culture of Angkor and Cambodia. For more explorative guests, each suite has access to its own custom Cambodian remork, a small carriage pulled by a motorcycle, as well as a driver for private expeditions into the city. Rooms from $750.
Who Should Stay: Since the Aman is located a bit outside the city center, the hotel is best for travelers who want to spend time relaxing at a truly gorgeous property and who don’t need to be in walking distance to Siem Reap’s shopping and dining scene.
Rooms to Get: Consider booking a pool villa for maximum splash.
Search By Keyword
This island has unspoiled coral reefs and protected lagoons so...
The country's most stunning landscapes and exhilarating outdoor activities center...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.