Destination: Washington, D.C.
This lovely neighborhood extends from the harbor north to Montrose Park, west to Georgetown University and east to Dupont Circle. It’s a pleasure to stroll around. Most shops are located on M Street, between 29th and 35th streets, and up Wisconsin Avenue to about R Street. But take some time to walk along the side streets, like N or Q, on the east side and admire the beautiful old houses. If you want to be based there, the top hotel is the Four Seasons. One of my favorite Georgetown secrets is Dumbarton Oaks. The gardens, which were designed by Beatrix Farrand, are sublime, and the grand old house hosts concerts. Nothing is lovelier than hearing chamber music performed there. Tudor Place is another historic house that offers tours. Some of Georgetown’s famous former residents include John and Jackie Kennedy, Ben Bradlee and Sally Quinn, Katharine Graham and Pamela Harriman. A fun way to peek behind the scenes is to go on the Georgetown Garden Tour (www.georgetowngardentour.org), which takes place in May.
Search By Keyword
An insider's guide to Connecticut's most scenic county.
An insider's guide to Rio. Plus, learn about a family...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.