Destination: Washington, D.C.
This Washington classic has been serving loyal patrons for over fifty years. Stepping inside the Georgetown institution, with its early-American art and grand fireplace, will transport you in time. The old-world feel is complimented by the rich American fare, including sustainable seafood and organically farmed meat and game. Each of the five dining rooms are cozy, making this the perfect place for a romantic dinner or celebrating a special occasion.
Old Ebbitt Grill
It’s a neighborhood joint all right—but what a neighborhood! Situated behind a Beaux-Arts façade right across the street from the Treasury, this saloon has catered to presidents and their posses since it opened its doors, in 1856. You won’t find gourmet food here, but there’s plenty of ambiance: dark wood paneling, mirrors and big oil paintings. Families will appreciate the cozy booths. Unfortunately, the secret’s out: it’s quite a tourist attraction.
The Majestic first opened its doors in Old Town Alexandria in 1932 and has remained a popular D.C haunt ever since. Throwback dishes such as homemade meatloaf, fried green tomatoes and local blue catfish have had people coming back for years. Diners wanting to experience the ultimate comfort meal should try “Nanas summer dinner”, held every Sunday during the summer months. This affordable prix fixe menu features a rotating selection that could be anything from fried chicken and mash potatoes to a taco feast.
Search By Keyword
A designated Unesco World Heritage site, Laos' former royal capital...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.