Destination: Washington, D.C.
Let’s be frank here—Washington’s real strength is its cultural offerings, not its shopping opportunities. True, Georgetown has some good boutiques along Wisconsin Avenue and M Street, but not as many as you might expect, and they tend to be buried among mediocre chains. One thing D.C. does do extremely well, however, is High Prep: between unique shops like Sherman Pickey and Magic Wardrobe and more widespread brands like Fornash Designs, Vineyard Vines and J. McLaughlin, you will be all set for your next weekend on Nantucket or dinner at the Chevy Chase Club.
The best place to start a Georgetown walk is the 1600 block of Wisconsin Avenue (at Reservoir Road), where you’ll find both antiques shops (Marston Luce) and fashion boutiques (Sugar, Urban Chic). Head south (downhill) for seven blocks, then take a right on M Street (skip Georgetown Park, a giant mall with a predictable selection) and swing over to Cady’s Alley for home design. (Cady’s Alley can be a bit tricky to find; take a left on 33rd Street and go south half a block, or enter on M Street, right next to Waterworks.) Some spots to refuel along the way: Pâtisserie Poupon (Wisconsin, near Q St.), Café Bonaparte (Wisconsin and P St.), and Leopold’s (Cady’s Alley).
INDAGARE TIP: To layer your Georgetown experience with more local flavor, start off with a trip to the formal gardens at Dumbarton Oaks (on R Street), then head over to Wisconsin, veering off periodically to explore such quaint side streets as N and 31st (both east of Wisconsin), where you’ll see lovely brick National Historic Landmark town houses shaded by magnolia trees, behind cast iron fences. Or stop by historic house Tudor Place.
Search By Keyword
Savannah is a magical otherworld where the pace is slow,...
Intimate, hip beach hotels line the shore of this former...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.