Vibe: Relaxing, Understated, Beautiful
At a Glance: The Raffles Praslin is a gorgeous getaway that feels off the beaten track, but offers a high level of luxury.
Review: Tucked into the hills and lush vegetation of Praslin Island, the Raffles hotel has been garnering buzz since it opened in 2011. Even the arrival area is breathtaking with stunning views onto a beach that’s deservedly well-known as one of the world’s most beautiful. The vistas take centerstage throughout the resort. Each of the 86 villas comes with wooden balconies, private outdoor showers and infinity plunge pools. The rooms all have a simple understated feel with soft colors and pillows with coral designs that lead into a walk in closet and large bathroom. My favorite part was the huge glass window beside the bathtub so that you can take in the views as you soak.
The staff at the Raffles is extremely warm and caring. At the pool there’s a constant flow of fresh fruit skewers and beverages, and every villa comes with its own butler service. While I visited, my butler seemed to know my whereabouts at all times, whether it was to pass on an important message to me or organize a wake-up call for my early-morning yoga class.
Although the setting is lush and romantic, families are just as welcome, and the plethora of beach activities and presence of a Kids Club assures that children of all ages (and their parents) will be happy here. Life at the resort is centered around relaxation. Adults will love the spa with outdoor treatment rooms as well as peaceful time at the pool and beach. The activities such as snorkeling, paddle boarding and diving are most popular.
The island of Praslin, where the Raffles is located, does not have a town with restaurants or infrastructure, so all meals happen at the resort. From a culinary perspective, the resort’s restaurants rate highly, and many menus focus on a blend of Creole and Western tastes. The seafood is fresh and exceptionally prepared. Don’t miss the cocktails at Danzil Lounge Bar for an afternoon or evening treat. Their signature Praslin sling with gin, coconut water and vanilla is delicious as are the passion fruit mojitos.
Indagare Tip: During your stay at Raffles, it is definitely a treat to take the 30-minute ferry to La Digue island, a culturally-rich place worth visiting. You can rent bikes and explore this other principal island. There you can see the indigenous turtles, the coconut mills, and stores selling of sundry of local products and spices.
Getting There: Guests arrive via a short, fifteen-minute plane ride from the principle island Mahe, then drive for 30 minutes to arrive at Raffles.
- Famous Lazio beach is only 10 minutes from the resort
- The warm, caring, professional staff
- Wide array of water sports
Search By Keyword
A designated Unesco World Heritage site, Laos' former royal capital...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.