Croatia is a crescent-shaped country that faces Italy across the Adriatic Sea. Once part of the former Yugoslavia, Croatia gained independence in 1991 and established peace with Serbia in 1995. The slender coastal nation shares borders with Slovenia, Hungary, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Montenegro. Most visitors stick to its coastal regions, which include Istria and Dalmatia. Its bays, deserted islands and beautifully preserved historic port towns like Dubrovnik, Hvar, Split and Pula are the major draws.
It’s hard to imagine as you walk the charming streets of Dubrovnik or sail the calm clear Adriatic seas that surround the thousands of small islands along her coast (only 66 are inhabited) that as recently as 1995 Croatia was fighting for independence from the Socialist Republic of Yugoslavia. In 1991 and 1992 Dubrovnik was under siege and attacked by the Yugoslav People’s Army when they shelled the historic city. However, since the Dayton Peace Accord ended fighting in 1995, the city has been restored, making it and Split and Hvar, among the most beautifully preserved historic ports in the entire Mediterranean.
Search By Keyword
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.