Destination: Mexico: Cabo
Protected by a cove, Playa Palmilla, at One & Only Palmilla, has one of Cabo’s few swimmable resort beaches—strong riptides and undercurrents render most too dangerous, at least for inexperienced swimmers. Other (relatively safe) beaches include: Playa Médano, a bar-lined stretch of sand in Cabo San Lucas and the Corridor’s pink-tinged Santa María beach—both are big water sports destinations. The more secluded Playa Las Viudas, located just west of the former Twin Dolphins resort, is a popular and pretty picnic spot, whose concealing rock formations attract “au naturel” sunbathers. Surfers head north to Playa Costa Azul, near San José del Cabo, and to Los Cerritos and San Pedrito, south of Todos Santos.
California-based starlets and movie execs flock to Cabo every winter but January through March, the region receives another kind of Northern visitor—pregnant gray whales, who migrate to Baja’s warmer waters to give birth. Eco-outfitters Baja Expeditions (52-612-125-3828; www.bajaex.com) and Baja Discovery (52-619-262-0700; www.bajadiscovery.com) operate safari-style camps near breeding sites. For shorter excursions Aéreo Calafia (52-624-143-4302; www.aereocalafia.com.mx), the regional airline, arranges three-hour trips to Magdalena Bay sanctuary, where a guide will take you to nursing and breeding locales. Transportation to and from your hotel is included.
Search By Keyword
The epitome of charm, Charleston offers every component to create...
Insider picks from Athens and the best island, including Mykonos,...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.