Destination: Austria: Lech
The fabulous cross-country ski track starts in Lech and runs along a river in an uncrowded, unspoiled setting full of snow-covered fir trees and surrounded by dramatic mountains. (Teenage sledders make a daily pilgrimage from Oberlech down to Lech.) Beware: the constant bumps aren’t great for adults with bad backs, and it’s too hazardous for those under eight to ski alone. Those interested in nighttime hiking, including snowshoeing, can contact Four Seasons Guiding (43-664- 40-00-827; www.fsg-lech.at) to get a top guide.
Though hotels arrange for ski instructors, my family adores those from this school (they’re the ones in the orange ski outfits—unmistakable on the slopes). They’re generally young, friendly and good with kids. The center’s off-piste instructors are superb as well, says an expert skier friend.
Search By Keyword
Eco safari camps, recommended outfitters, plus an amazing house rental...
The 4,000-acre resort on Mexico’s Pacific Coast is not a...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.