Destination: Thailand: Bangkok
Shopping is a major sport and pastime in Bangkok, though unless you selectively stick to the hotel galleries (the one at the Four Seasons is nice) or major department stores, expect bouts of exhaustion along the way, as the city’s layout does not lend itself to neighborhood window-shopping. Like almost everything else in Bangkok, stores worth visiting are spread out, and a shopping spree requires some foresight and planning.
The major department stores and Siam Square (a collection of side streets where young designers have minuscule stores) are clustered around the Siam Sky Train station, making it an easy one-stop-shopping destination. For the most part, however, these megamalls feature a lot of Western brands, so you have to hunt for local finds. Another popular shopping “neighborhood” is the Sukhumvit area, but frankly, the stores worth visiting, like Almeta and Quattro, are a couple of miles apart (making the Agalico and other restful cafés the more important).
Of course, one of the best ways to stock up on local crafts, design and fashion is the markets, notably the Suan Lum Night Bazaar and the sprawling Chatuchak weekend market, known locally as JJ, which should be at the top of any passionate shopper’s list.
If you have only one afternoon or evening in which to find some unique pieces to take home, consider:
Search By Keyword
Savannah is a magical otherworld where the pace is slow,...
Intimate, hip beach hotels line the shore of this former...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.