Destination: Thailand: Bangkok
This gorgeous silk store is tucked into the back of a courtyard off a small soi in the Sukhumvit area, but it’s worth the walk or taxi fare. It carries lushly colored silks that can be turned into home items—unlike with most orders at Jim Thompson, there’s no minimum quantity here—as well as small gift items, like multicolored bags modeled on those carried by Buddhist monks; small purses; and robes made of materials so vibrant that you cannot help but touch them all as you walk through the small boutique.
There are thirty-three Jim Thompson branches in Thailand (there’s even one at the Koh Samui airport), so this is one of the only places in Bangkok where you can take your time deciding on a purchase, since chances are you’ll find another outlet. The uncontested king of Thai silk, Jim Thompson carries a huge range of products and raw materials.
True aficionados make time to visit the Sales Outlet (153 Soi Sukhumvit 93; 66-2-332-6530; fax: 66-2-333-0953), in outer Bangkok, a twenty-minute taxi ride from the city’s center (if there’s no traffic; otherwise you can also take the BTS to On Nuch station). Prices are slashed up to 70 percent and some items are not available at retails shops.
Search By Keyword
Known as the Blue City for its cobalt-painted facades, Jodhpur...
Berlin is one of Europe's most fascinating, stimulating and underrated...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.