In Cairo the modern world coexists with the ancient just as extravagant lifestyles unfold beside severely impoverished ones, and professional women share the female-only subway cars with an increasing number of figures who are veiled or completely cloaked except for their eyes.
Read our Overview and Why Go Now. Also, in this report: the city’s best hotels under Where to Stay, top restaurants under Where to Eat, attractions not to miss under What to See & Do, great boutiques under Where to Shop, itinerary suggestions under Strategies and recommended reading for Egypt under Library.
INDAGARE TOP TEN
SLEEP…in the city’s grandest hotel, the Four Seasons Nile Plaza
EXPERIENCE…the wonder of seeing the pyramids and Sphinx at night
SPLURGE…on a cruise down the Nile on the Oberoi’s Zahra
EAT…at delicious mezze at Aura at the Four Seasons First Residence
DRINK…fresh squeezed mango juice from a street stand
SAVOR…an evening on the edge of the Nile at the city’s sexiest restaurant Sequoia
VISIT…the Khan el-Khalili souk and wander the narrow alleys as Nobel-prize winning writer Naguib Mahfouz did
SEE…the room with animal mummies at the Egyptian museum
SHOP…for embroidered jackets and slippers at Atlas Silks
KNOW…our favorite tour guides who can navigate the crowds and reel off history with grace, even arrange a private dinner by the pyramids
Search By Keyword
An insider's guide to Connecticut's most scenic county.
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.