Destination: Brazil: Buzios
January is the middle of summer in Brazil; this translates to 85-degree weather, with a humidity reminiscent of Thailand and an intense sun that only the locals can handle all day. Its important that your accommodations have a pool and that you try to stay somewhere on the beach: cooling off often is a necessity. The southernmost beaches, such as Geriba beach, have gusty winds and rougher seas. Geriba beach, a ten-minute drive from the center of Buzios, is lined with privately owned homes, small pousadas and family-run inn’s. Surrounded on each side by two large mountains, the surf is rough and the waves can be quite large, so body boarding or surfing is fun only if you know what you are doing. The water is crystal clear and very clean. While not all the beaches have lifeguards, Geriba beach does. From dusk until dawn, beach vendors marathon up and down offering all kinds of crafts and food, including a local favorite, pão de queijo, cheese rolls. One of the widest beaches in Buzios, there is plenty of room to play and an overwhelming number of activities available.
Read about beaches in Bahia
Search By Keyword
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
One of the oldest cities in the Netherlands, Maastricht has...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.