Destination: California Wine Country: Napa
This privately-owned property reminds me of a New England summer enclave. Its white clapboard cottages are sprinkled over a 250-acre private estate with hiking trails winding past tennis courts, croquet lawns and a nine-hole golf course. Founded originally as a private club in the 1960s, the property maintains a genteel, all-American atmosphere, and it does still operate as a club for local members.
The eighty-five guest rooms range from cozy studios to family lodges (with two, three or four bedrooms), which have large living rooms, decks and lawns. Each feels like a unique country guesthouse, with homey touches like cushioned window seats, stone fireplaces, wicker porch furniture and well-chosen coffee-table books and novels. There’s a large spa and incredible sports facilities, including a summer kids’ camp. Meadowood traditions: wine tours (escorted and self-guided) and fabulous picnics. Rooms from $475.
Read about The Restaurant at Meadowood, which has three Michelin stars.
Search By Keyword
Dostoyevsky called St. Petersburg “the most abstract and intentional city...
An insider's guide to Connecticut's most scenic county.
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.