Destination: California Wine Country: Napa
Open every day at 7 am, the Bakery adjacent to Thomas Keller’s late-night Bouchon bistro is “a great place to pick up pastries and coffee in the morning,” according to Indagare Insider Beth Nickel, of Far Niente winery. On Saturdays and Sundays, go for glazed and fruit-filled doughnuts inspired by French Laundry’s signature “Coffee and Doughnuts” dish—but go early, because the weekend-only specialties tend to run out quickly. The bakery also offers a sliver of outdoor seating with light lunch fare such as soups, salads and sandwiches atop fresh-baked baguettes. Bouchon-stamped gourmet gifts include biscotti and home-made granola; you might even be tempted by the pet treats they offer (think foie-gras and diced-bacon biscuits).
Beth Nickel of Far Niente winery says, “Locals gravitate to Model Bakery for breakfast and delicious gelato.” The 80-year-old bakery has two locations, one with indoor seating (St. Helena), and the other with benches outside the Oxbow Public Market (Napa). If you get hooked on their signature sourdough breads with organic stone ground flours, they also sell their products to-order online. Winter hours: closed Mondays.
Beth Nickel of Far Niente winery calls this recently restored bakery a “great place to hang out in the morning.” True to its name, the store is piled with cupcakes, pastries and other sugary confections. With Napa’s robust wedding industry, it’s also a choice spot for wedding and specialty cakes.
Search By Keyword
An insider's guide to Connecticut's most scenic county.
An insider's guide to Rio. Plus, learn about a family...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.