Destination: California Wine Country: Napa
This groovy two-level art and interior design gallery, sculpture garden and wine collective showcases the next generation of Napa’s tasting rooms. No more pulling up to a counter, guzzling a flight of wine and getting back in your car. The gorgeous setting invites guests to linger. Located in a restored 1904 manor house just down the street from the French Laundry, Ma(i)sonry is surrounded by a patio and landscaped gardens where a host of contemporary sculptures is interspersed among groups of loungers, garden furniture, benches, a fire pit, and a 36-foot redwood table that was created by artist Ron Mann.
The display of antiques, art and limited-edition furniture rotates constantly . Ma(i)sonry purchased the collections of celebrated art dealer Ira Wolk when he died in 2009; the gallery’s owner, vintner Michael Polenske, now also curates the sculpture garden at the Auberge du Soleil in addition to running I. Wolk gallery, in St. Helena. It’s an inspired, calm and creative environment in which to sample the collective’s impressive roster of vintages. Polenske runs the boutique label Blackbird Vineyards and is partners with an impressive group of small Californian wineries, including Brown, Husic, Lail and Rivera. Striking the perfect balance between cutting-edge contemporary and leafy wine country, Ma(i)sonry has become a favorite spot for special events and private functions. Walk-ins are welcome, although appointments are recommended. Sunday-Wednesday from 10am to 6pm; Thursday from 10am to 8pm; Friday – Saturday from 10am to 10pm.
Search By Keyword
An outrageous shape-shifter, Myanmar is finally emerging from its troubled...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.