Destination: The Netherlands: Amsterdam
Admittedly, the image of the Amsterdammer on a bicycle is as clichéd as that of the Gouda girl in a tulip field, but the capital’s citizen are serious about their two-wheel drives. Walking down a street at times, all you hear is the squeaking of pedals being pushed vigorously. Dutch even has numerous cycling-related idioms: Op een oude fiets moet je het leren (“You must learn it on an old bike”), for instance, means that someone older is the best instructor, while Oh, op die fiets! (“Ah, on that bike!”) indicates comprehension, and the simple Ga toch fietsen (“Go biking!”) conveys in rather strong language that the speaker wants to be left alone. Perhaps because of this less hurried (and polluting) way of getting around or because they know they live in one of the most pristine, culturally active metropolises in Europe, Amsterdammers are a thoroughly laid-back bunch, and visiting there often feels as if you’re joining a cool, city-wide party. There’s a ton to see in terms of art and history, with such compelling museums as the Rembrandt House, the Anne Frank Huis and the Van Gogh Museum (the renowned Rijksmusem is closed until at least 2010), but you’ll have the most fun blending in to the local scene, whether by soaking up the vibe at one of the canal-side cafés (not all are of the ganja variety) or by exploring on foot, bike and boat.
Search By Keyword
Modern-day Edinburgh, still a hotbed of literary and scientific ingenuity,...
Bordering the Atlantic Ocean and South Africa, Namibia has expansive...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.