Destination: American West
Great West Itineraries
There are several ways to tackle the greater Four Corners region in the American West, chockfull of national parks, monuments and natural splendor, and all involve a good car rental, at least a week of vacation and a keen sense of editing the sights. It’s impossible to see everything, so try to select two or three experiences and do them properly.
The two cities that lend themselves to kicking off a road trip, especially for East Coasters, are Sedona and Las Vegas. The former is a great place if you want to explore the Grand Canyon, which at nearly 300 miles long can be an undertaking all on its own. Las Vegas the better city to start from to head into Utah’s national parks, including famous Bryce Canyon, Zion and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and onward to Lake Powell. Canyonlands and Moab’s Arches are further north, close to the Colorado state line.
Those with more time and a flexible flight schedule can do the grand tour by starting in Sedona, driving via the Grand Canyon to Lake...
Search By Keyword
The 25,000-acre beachside fiefdom could only be created by a...
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.