Destination: South Africa: Safari
Top Shops in Johannesburg
If it’s African curios and artifacts you seek in Johannesburg, the good news is that you only need to know two places: Art Africa and Amatuli Fine Art. The former has a huge selection of everything from children’s toys, to Christmas trinkets, house wares and artwork to fashion accessories—and at reasonable prices. Colorful, fun, funky, pretty, original. You will see things here you won’t see at the airport shops (though some of the airport shops are good) or anywhere else for that matter. The front part of the shop proffers handmade contemporary crafts from all over Africa—often made by cooperatives or groups from rural communities. The back is a gallery of more traditionally defined “tribal art,” with masks, headrests, sculpture, pottery, basketry and so forth.
This part of Art Africa is a mere hint at the volume and selection at Amatuli Fine Art, which houses room upon room of African crafts as well as more serious, i.e., expensive, textiles, artifacts, and furnishings. Owned by Mark and Christine Valentine, Amatuli has a workshop that creates, assembles, and repairs merchandise, and Mark...
Search By Keyword
Like the French Riviera, Turkey’s southwester coast was “discovered” by...
A memorable sidestep to lesser-known cities: Gwailor and Orchha (near...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.