Food in Marrakech just keeps getting better. Not too many years ago, you were restricted to a diet of endless tagines (covered clay pots) filled with lamb and prunes. Thanks to the influx of Europeans who have bought second and third homes here, you can now dine in style at numerous trendy restaurants and feast on everything from foie gras and ravioli to marvelous Moroccan delicacies. You’ll likely want to eat breakfast in your room and lunch by the pool at your hotel, but plan ahead for dinner. Few people eat on the early side—as tourists and residents alike indulge in siestas—so reserve on the late side or be prepared to dine alone. Local specialties rely heavily on lamb, goat and couscous, which can get repetitive for lunch and dinner. I’d suggest mixing Moroccan meals with others at restaurants serving alternative international cuisine. For the better-known restaurants, it’s advisable to reserve at least a few weeks in advance through your hotel concierge.
N.B Smoking in restaurants and bars is permitted in Morocco so for those who will find a smoky atmosphere tough to take, consider the advantage of booking outdoor tables.
Search By Keyword
A first-hand account of a wildlife cruise to this unforgettable...
For students of history and students of life, it’s moving...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.