Villa des Orangers
The only Relais & Chateaux property in Marrakech, Villa des Orangers offers the most sophisticated riad experience in the medina. In what feels more like a tiny Moroccan palace than a typical townhouse, Villa des Orangers combines the exotic flair and quality craftsmanship of Marrakech with a true French l’art de vivre. From the exquisite tiled courtyard to the serene pool area, where chaise longues are shaded by olive trees, each corner of the property has been crafted with the utmost style to evoke a sense of place.
The French owners, Véronique and Pascal Beherec, worked with local craftsmen to incorporate intricate tile patterns, plaster carving and wood and iron work which is complemented by Berber carpets, black and white photographs and elegant fabrics and decorative details. Each of the nineteen rooms is slightly different, but many have fireplaces and balconies. In one, there’s a fabulous thatch-branch chandelier; in another, a massive antique wood headboard. Some even have fireplaces in the bathroom. The wood paneled library, with its enormous fireplace, mixes deco velvet club chairs, leather couches and Moroccan lanterns.
For a more intimate meal, guests can choose not to dine in the gastronomic restaurant, but instead have a table set up in the library or outside in one of the smaller courtyards facing a fountain. There’s a tiny rooftop pool as well as an 18-meter one that adds a resort feeling to the property, which sits only blocks from the bustling Djemaa el Fna square. Rooms from 335 to 690 euros, include airport transfers, breakfast and a light lunch.
Bottom line: For those who expect exquisite service and surroundings but want a more intimate experience in the medina than La Mamounia at a much lower cost, Villa des Orangers is a great choice.
Who it’s right for: Couples and individuals who want the best of a boutique hotel experience in the medina.
Search By Keyword
As part of the Trois Vallées, Courchevel in the French...
This archipelago of some one hundred islands in the Indian...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.