On grounds that were formerly part of the Bonaventure Plantation, this cemetery gained national fame when it appeared on the cover of John Berendt’s Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The Bird Girl statue has since been moved to the Telfair Museum of Art for safekeeping. Among those buried here are songwriter Johnny Mercer and Pulitzer prize–winning poet Conrad Aiken. Aiken, who regularly visited the graves of his parents here, had his tombstone fashioned in the shape of a bench, so visitors can rest awhile and even raise a glass, as he did, to toast his party-loving mother. The stone is inscribed with the words “Cosmos Mariner, Destination Unknown,” which he apparently read one day on a ship’s log in town.
Search By Keyword
Its own continent but most often reached from South America....
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.