Destination: Spain: Madrid
This flea market takes over the streets south of the Plaza Mayor every Sunday morning (it’s concentrated on Calle de la Ribera de Curtidores and the Plaza de Cascorro, south of the La Latina metro). The wares tend to be tchotchkes, but some local artists and artisans come to display their paintings and crafts. Arrive early, and watch out for the pickpockets and purse snatchers that prey on distracted tourists.
Mercado San Miguel
Located in a soaring 1916 steel-and-glass structure that just completed a long renovation, the Mercado San Miguel reopened in June 2009 and is now the chicest place to shop for food in central Madrid. Its tenants include everything from traditional fresh-produce purveyors and fishmongers to gourmet bakeries, high-end tabletop shops and wine bars. Stop by after an afternoon of sightseeing to enjoy some tapas and a traditional caña (a small draft beer) with a local crowd.
Search By Keyword
The mountainous island in the West Indies is transforming into...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.