The Lumière describes its interiors as “mountain chic” and it certainly delivers on the hip and trendy front, with an Asian-inspired design (lots of black lacquer and big Buddhas), a small spa and popular Little Bar, where a chic crowd snacks on après ski sushi. Opened just before the Capella in December 2008, the thirty-room ski-in/ski-out boutique hotel is at the bottom of the Lower Boomerang ski run, near the gondola, and is proving popular with couples and multi-generational families who take advantage of the stunning four-bedroom penthouse ‘Wilson’ suite.
There is no formal reception as guests are swept from the concierge station on the ground floor directly to in-room check-in. The fourth-floor common area is the center of the action, with comfy oversized sofas, freshly made Illy coffee and snacks, an outside deck area with a hot tub and plunge pool, and a well-stocked games room with a DVD library and board games. The large log fire, rough stone walls and great lighting fixtures create an almost nightclub feel, and the bar and deck area are popular for cocktails and dips in the hot tub. On the same level, there’s also a one-room spa, but the five therapists are also happy to set up their tables in the guest rooms.
The enormous bedrooms would not be out of place in New York or London with sleek, dark-wood furniture and lovely touches like L’Occitane bath products and Dualit toasters in the kitchenettes. As the Mountain Village hotel with the highest location, all the rooms make the most of the stunning scenery, with oversized windows and balconies (in many but not all suites). The smallest rooms are studio suites, the largest is the Wilson Suite that can sleep up to fourteen. There’s also the 7,500 square feet Tower at Lumière, a separate five-bedroom residence adjacent to the hotel with a private elevator, four patios and two entertainment rooms on four floors.
The all-important ski valet can arrange everything from ski rental, through new outfitters Black Tie, to overnight ski tuning. Rooms from $289.
Who Should Stay: Couples and weekenders wanting an escape as well as a ski holiday.
Who Shouldn’t Stay: Those after a traditional mountain hotel and families with children who need space to be entertained.
Room to Get: The two-bedroom Dallas Suite is comes with a chef’s kitchen, living area, loft and decks that look directly onto the mountains.
Search By Keyword
Its own continent but most often reached from South America....
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.