Destination: Peru: Sacred Valley
Machu Picchu may be the country’s greatest draw, but you must also visit the Sacred Valley, which surrounds Machu Picchu and Cusco, to understand the land that inspired awe in the Incas and the conquistadores and amazes the worldliest travelers today. With the dramatic Andean range as a backdrop, you will find lush valleys that lead to cloud forests laced with raftable rivers and trails on which hikers pass Inca ruins and rare orchids. In a dusty square, you may enter a primitive-looking church only to discover that its walls are crammed with museum-worthy paintings of the Cusco school. Machu Picchu and Sacsayhuamán draw crowds of tourists from dawn to dusk, but in Ollantaytambo you can climb the vast temple or hike to the Inca quarry and pass fewer than a dozen other people on the way. Cusco has become cosmopolitan, with its steady stream of sightseers, so it’s essential that you step off the beaten path by touring the Sacred Valley.
Whether you hike, bike, raft or drive, you will be stunned by the beauty of the landscape and the traditional way of life, which still thrives, centering on weekly markets and sacred festivals. A bit like Bali or Thailand thirty years ago, Peru still feels raw and undiscovered despite its incredible historical and geographical treasures. Come now, when it has all the creature comforts and an adventurous traveler need sacrifice nothing in the way of good food and shopping, but before the crowds arrive and find out about its yet unspoiled corners.
Search By Keyword
Discover the best beach hideaways in the area that Brazilians...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.