Destination: France: Cannes
La Cave du Marché
At this cozy wine-store-slash bistro that pours coupettes of excellent champagne for customers and doles out satisfying small plates of food, you can sit outside and watch locals shop the Marché Forville; or, for proximity to the friendly chef and the neighborhood policemen who drop in regularly for chats, choose the tall table in the back, nestled among the ceiling-high racks of shimmering rosé bottles. This is a place for midday leisure, in true Riviera style. Chat, sip, and nibble on perfect-sized portions of delicious Mediterranean-influenced dishes and rare and regional wines. I had a rich and tangy cheese made from a mixture of goat’s and sheep’s milk, so authentically local no one knew its name. A spicy octopus salad was followed by a pistachio gnocchi packed with nutty flavors nutty. Provençale olives—very small, very buttery, and mild—are a fixture on each table. Other notable dishes were the gnocchi à l’huile de truffe blanche, hareng fumé (a smoked fish), and the Pata Negra: a type of cured ham from the black Iberian pig, which the chef cuts into thick slices as you stand, salivating, at the bar.
Indagare Tip: La Cave du Marché is located kitty-corner to the fantastically packed Marché Forville, and is a great spot for lunch with local flavor. For evenings, head over to its sister store, La Cave Croisette. Located on boutique-lined rue d’Antibes, it is larger, with more seating to offer. It can also be reserved for private functions and can cater yachts and private villas. 151, rue d’Antibes; 33 4 92 59 14 22.
Only a block off of Boulevard de la Croisette, Le Pastis feels miles away from the glitz of Cannes. It is a quintessential French bistro with such familiar features as smoky mirrors behind the bar, a pressed tin ceiling, a convivial crowd of regulars and harried waitresses. There’s no menu; rather a blackboard with the day’s specials that passes from table to table. You’ll always find pizza, steak and lamb on offer along with seasonal favorites such as artichokes or white asparagus. It’s popular for lunch and dinner, and I wouldn’t be shocked if some poet philosophers linger all the way through from one meal to the next. It’s that kind of neighborhood place.
Hands down the best place in town—perhaps, on the whole Cote d’Azur—for pizza. Order four cheeses, margherita or one with seafood or vegetables. There’s a great laid-back atmosphere and consistently good Italian food.
Search By Keyword
St Moritz has come roaring back. For an update on...
Like the French Riviera, Turkey’s southwester coast was “discovered” by...
Sophisticated living combined with a refreshingly laid-back California attitude in...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.