Destination: France: St.-Tropez
The Appeal of St.-Tropez
Habitués of the Cote d’Azur love to downplay the jet-set lifestyle of St.-Tropez. “It’s just a little fishing village,” they shrug, “and we love the sea.” Technically, St.-Tropez is exactly that – a small village in the south of France. But there’s not much fishing going on these days. When I visited on a sunny weekend in April, the port was already lined with multi-million-dollar yachts, and the beautiful people had descended in full force to celebrate the kickoff of another season. St.-Tropez initially found fame when it served as the backdrop for Brigitte Bardot in And God Created Woman. Since then, it has become the see-and-be-seen spot for celebrities, royalty and well-heeled travelers from around the world. But for first-time visitors, the repeat guests’ nonchalance can be difficult to decipher.
The appeal of St.-Tropez is twofold – the scene and the setting. St.-Tropez truly is a gorgeous town. Many cities in the south of France were destroyed by bombs in WWII, including St.-Tropez. But unlike others that rebuilt willy-nilly in the current day’s architecture, St.-Tropez was already...
Search By Keyword
The gateway to southeastern Asia, Singapore has a lot to...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.