Destination: France: St.-Tropez
La Voile Rouge
For a glimpse of the hedonistic St.-Tropez, stop by this notorious party headquarters where starlets dance on the tables while exorbitantly priced Champagne flows. It’s worth taking a look at, but only in passing.
If you aren’t feeling up for the comme-des-sardines dance floor, have cocktails in the piano bar. There’s a lively crowd of St.-Tropez showbiz regulars and the occasional visiting star, like U2’s Bono or Johnny Hallyday, who has been known to pop in and sing a few tunes just for fun. Low tables, low light, high energy.
A mythic club from the 1970s, it still attracts big-name European sophisticates on special DJ nights. Otherwise it’s packed with young model wannabes and twenty-something singles.
Le VIP Room
Run by Jean Roch, the owner of Paris’s celeb-crammed club by the same name, VIP is a hip-hop techno haven where everyone goes when they’re not at the Caves du Roy.
Les Caves du Roy
Getting a table at this glam nightspot is tricky, since it’s the Riviera’s top nightclub (guests staying at the Hôtel Byblos should get to know Guiseppe Pochintesta, the concierge, who sometimes can help score a reservation). Les Caves has the ultimate scene: flowing Dom Perignon, a dance floor packed with beauties and open-shirted playboys, and a crowded VIP section. The uproarious atmosphere rages until dawn.
The bronzed and beautiful drape themselves across giant daybeds around the pool here as they recover from clubbing all night. Peak hour is around 5 p.m., when the throbbing basses reverberate all the way down the beach. Revelers have included Pamela Anderson and Diddy. Open June through early September.
Search By Keyword
The 4,000-acre resort on Mexico’s Pacific Coast is not a...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.