Preserved by ancient fortifications and years of neglect, Cartagena is a colonial gem by the sea that is fast becoming one of South America’s most stylish retreats. Throughout the historic district, crumbling mansions are being restored by designers and entrepreneurs, and new attractions like a world-class music festival, talented young chefs and chic boutique hotels are luring those in search of seaside culture.
Check out our 4-day itinerary for Cartagena
Coming soon: special houses for rent, sights not to miss. Plus how to visit the Islas del Rosario.
Indagare Top Ten:
SLEEP…at one of our favorite boutique hotels with a couple of friends and take the place over so you have a house of your own
EXPERIENCE…the old world atmosphere and Cuban music at clubby La Vitrola
SPLURGE…on a private boat for the day to take you to the Islas del Rosario to swim and snorkel in turquoise seas
EAT…at Vera where a protege of Mario Batali prepares the city’s best Italian food
DRINK…a mojito on the city walls at Café del Mar at sunset
SAVOR…the writings of longtime resident and Nobel prize winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez
VISIT…the Palace of the Inquisition, the three main cathedrals and the newly restored Teatro Adolfo Mejía
SEE…the city from the Convent de la Popa and as many rooftop terraces as you can
SHOP…for stylish silk tops and dresses at Silvia Tcherassi’s boutique
For advice on planning a trip, contact us.
Search By Keyword
This South American city is imbued with sophistication, generous hospitality...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.