One of the most stunning bays along the Mediterranean is Boka Kotorska. Named from the Italian word ‘boca’ for mouth, the bay has a narrow opening out to the sea so presents a wonderful naturally protected calm harbor. The gorgeous medieval town of Kotor sits within the bay, and draws many yachts and ships whose passengers come to see its historic center. Among the other towns within the bay are Risan (known for its Roman villa), Herceg-Novi and Perast (where Peter the Great sent his captains for naval training).
The other true luxury development in Montenegro is the port that was built in Kotor Bay for yachtsmen by yachtsmen—and not any old yachtsmen. The men behind the project include Bernard Arnault, Lord Jacob Rothschild and Nathaniel Rothschild as well as Oleg Deripaska. In addition to first-class marina facilities, Porto Montenegro has a sleek Lido Beach Club (frequented, of course, by its backers and their worldly friends). It is definitely one of the coast’s hottest harbors.
Search By Keyword
With views of the Swiss Alps and Lake Geneva, Lausanne...
Palace hotels and painted elephants are part of the colorful...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.